Battery charger fire provides cautionary tale for West Melbourne mayor


West Melbourne Mayor Hal Rose and his spouse, Sue, smelled one thing burning of their home all day Monday however could not work out the place it was coming from.

And it was getting stronger.

  • Digital gadget caught hearth in West Melbourne mayor’s house
  • System was by no means-used exterior battery charger
  • Mayor needs to warn others who might take it on a aircraft

A washer repairman had been there that day however wasn’t engaged on an electrical situation.

Rose introduced a fireplace extinguisher simply in case.

Then they awoke Tuesday morning to a scary mess — an digital system saved in a dresser drawer had caught hearth whereas they slept.

“It appeared like one thing had blown up in there. There have been fragments in all places,” Rose stated. “It was scary. It appeared like whenever you have been a child and used firecrackers to blow one thing up.”

The offender: a Energy Financial institution exterior battery charger, by no means used, nonetheless within the field.

The hearth left charred stays and burned gadgets round it.

Rose stated he cannot think about what would have occurred if one of many chargers had a problem on a aircraft.

“Have it in your carry-on bag, fairly harmful,” he stated.

The mayor stated he acquired the charger a few yr in the past at an occasion. Now he simply needs to tell others who may personal one.

“I am involved of what will occur with different individuals,” Rose stated.

DGL Group, the charger’s producer, has not but replied to a request for remark. There are not any present recollects on the product.



Source link