DENVER – East Excessive’s principal downplayed the seriousness of complaints concerning the faculty’s cheerleading coach and failed repeatedly to acknowledge that he had surprising cellphone movies displaying that coach bodily forcing women into the splits, based on a scathing investigative report made public Friday.
These have been among the many findings of an unbiased investigation ordered by Denver Public Faculties Superintendent Tom Boasberg following a 9Wants to Know report Aug. 23 that included footage from the movies. The investigation, carried out by the regulation agency Davis Graham & Stubbs, discovered repeated situations by which the principal, Andy Mendelsberg, mislead different directors concerning the every thing from accidents suffered by a cheerleader to the existence of the disturbing movies.
A minimum of a few of that footage had been shared with East Excessive directors in mid-June. Nevertheless it wasn’t till 9Wants to Know obtained them and began asking questions that the complaints about new cheerleading coach Ozell Williams turned recognized to district directors.
Footage aired by 9NEWS confirmed women in screaming in agony as Williams bodily shoved them into the splits. In a number of the footage, he didn’t let up whilst women begged him to cease.
The fallout, which started when Williams was fired two days after that 9NEWS report, continued this week:
– Mendelsberg, East’s principal since early 2012, retired Friday within the wake of the damning report, which cited a number of failures to behave following complaints made by the mother and father of a number of cheerleaders. Superintendent Tom Boasberg and different district officers declined to say whether or not Mendelsberg would have been fired if he didn’t opted to retire.
– Lisa Porter, an assistant principal who was serving as athletic director, resigned.
– 5 assistant principals have been disciplined, though Boasberg, in an unique interview with 9NEWS, declined to specify the motion taken towards them. All 5 noticed at the very least a number of the video turned over by a mother or father in mid-June.
– A DPS lawyer, Deputy Basic Counsel Michael Hickman, was reinstated Friday but in addition was disciplined for failing to sufficiently comply with up on the admittedly restricted info that was offered to him by Mendelsberg.
– Assistant cheer coach Mariah Cladis was cleared of wrongdoing. She was a volunteer however will be capable of apply for a job with the district sooner or later.
Mendelsberg, a well-liked determine at East who had been in Denver Public Faculties on Friday, posted a public letter saying his retirement.
“I need to thanks all for the unbelievable help you’ve proven in these previous weeks,” he wrote….