Harvey stays a Class 2 hurricane however is predicted to strengthen to a Class three storm this afternoon because it travels over very heat water within the western Gulf of Mexico.
As of eleven a.m. ET, the hurricane was situated about one hundred fifteen miles southeast of Corpus Christi. Prime winds have been as much as one hundred ten mph, however because it intensifies, winds might attain one hundred twenty mph because it makes landfall, someplace between Corpus Christi and Galveston.
- Harvey stays robust Class 2 late Friday morning
- It is anticipated to succeed in Class three because it makes landfall in Texas
- Texas hasn’t seen hurricane landfall in 9 years
- Our sister stations in Austin and San Antonio are offering steady protection of Harvey all through the occasion. For extra particulars on the impacts in these areas, go to the Spectrum Information Austin and Spectrum Information San Antonio web sites.
Texas has not seen a hurricane make landfall since Ike in September 2008, and the U.S. hasn’t seen a serious hurricane make landfall since Wilma in October 2005.
Evacuations have been ordered alongside the Texas coast, however impacts are set to increase far inland due to the potential for vital rainfall.
As a result of Harvey is predicted to sluggish its velocity and stall, it might produce anyplace from 12 to twenty inches of rain, probably as much as 35 inches from south Texas to the Louisiana shoreline, which can result in widespread flash flooding.
Alongside the newest forecast monitor, Harvey is about to linger in Texas via at the least Tuesday or Wednesday.
Storm surge will even be dangerously excessive. Listed here are a few of the storm surge forecasts:
- N Entrance Padre Island Natl Seashore to Sargent, Texas: 6 to 12 ft
- Sargent to Jamaica Seashore: 5 to eight ft
- Port Mansfield to N Entrance Padre Island Nationwide Seashore: 5 to 7 ft
- Jamaica Seashore to Excessive Island: 2 to four ft
- Mouth of the Rio Grande to Port Mansfield: 2 to four ft
- Excessive Island to Morgan Metropolis: 1 to three ft
Hurricane warnings and tropical storm warnings have been issued for the next:
- Hurricane warning is in impact for Port Mansfield to Sargent
- Tropical storm warning is in impact for north of Sargent to Excessive Island and south of Port Mansfield to the mouth of the Rio Grande
- Hurricane watch is in impact for south of Port Mansfield to the mouth of the Rio Grande
- Tropical storm watch is in impact for south of the mouth of the Rio Grande to Boca de Catan, Mexico
Elsewhere within the tropics, we’re monitoring a weak space of low strain off the west coast of Florida, which has a medium probability of strengthening right into a tropical system after it drifts east of the state. No matter its tropical classification, it is going to be answerable for greater rain possibilities regionally by means of the weekend. The subsequent system within the Atlantic to obtain a reputation might be referred to as Irma.